With the weather heating up, families will turn to swimming pools for a bit of cool summer fun. To get the most out of your summer days by the pool, however, it is also important to observe some crucial safety precautions. Swimming is an excellent activity, allowing kids to have fun and enjoy a day outside away from video games or computers, and providing a great opportunity for family bonding. You do not want this enjoyable time to turn into a day of disaster or tragedy.
To stay safe at the pool this summer, here are some helpful tips to follow:
- You might think your kids are fine on their own, but it is dangerous to leave them in or near the pool alone for even a minute. If you cannot watch them, make sure there is a designated adult watching them. He or she should not be drinking or distracted.
- The designated adult or adults who are watching your children in the pool should also know CPR and be able to rescue them in the event of an emergency.
- If you have a pool, ensure that its perimeter is surrounded by a sturdy 5-foot fence. The gate should also self-close and self-latch at a height children are unable to reach.
- Be sure to also keep rescue equipment near your pool or, if you are visiting a pool, make sure there is rescue equipment on the premises. This includes a shepherd’s hook and life preserver. If you are watching children, you should not be using your phone, but it is still important to have it on you in case you need to call for help.
- Inflatable swimming aids should not be used as substitutes for approved life vests, particularly for children who cannot swim.
- Taking your children to swimming lessons is a great idea, but this should only be done after the age of 4. Children younger than 4 years old are not developmentally ready for swim lessons.
- Infants and toddlers are particularly vulnerable. If they are in or around the water, an adult should always be within arm’s length.
- Never swallow pool water and advise your children to avoid doing this as well.
Pocatello Personal Injury Lawyers
Being injured in an accident is often a traumatic experience and can result in serious physical pain, emotional suffering, and confusion. You will also likely be faced with mounting medical bills and even permanent disability that will impact your life and the lives of your loved ones. At May Rammell & Thompson, our personal injury attorneys in Pocatello are dedicated to fighting for injured victims and holding the responsible parties accountable for their actions. Our legal team is known for its fierce legal advocacy as well as the compassionate representation we provide for our clients.
Backed by over 70 years of collective experience and a history of success, our personal injury attorneys understand the severity of these types of situations and want to help alleviate the concerns of all those we serve. You can rely on us to investigate your case and gather sufficient evidence to prove exactly who was at fault.
Contact us today at (208) 623-8021 to request a consultation with a trusted member of our team. You do not have to go through this difficult time alone.